Monday, November 26, 2007

Holiday Movies

My husband and I really like movies but we only really get to rent kids movies (we just got Ratatouille and Shrek 3 (both good)). But there are some movies coming out for the holiday push to the Oscars that we are really excited about.

*Sweeney Todd (Dec 21)
We are theater people...musical theater people. Our cat's name is Sondheim. And Sweeney Todd is one of my favorite shows (it's brilliant!). Tim Burton has made an adaptation with Johnny Depp (one of my favorite actors) that opens Dec 21st. Check out the trailer. (By the way, the revival production of Sweeney is heading to Chicago this spring...see Broadway in Chicago for more info).

*The Golden Compass (Dec 7)
This is film is based on the first novel in His Dark Material series by Philip Pullman (also called the Northern Lights). I really loved reading this series. The imagery is amazing in the book; I can't wait to see how it plays out on screen (armored polar bears!).

Other Movies of interest:
I am Legend with Will Smith...a fascinating concept.
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story as biopic spoof with John C. Reilly and Jenna Fischer.
The Amateurs from the makers of Calender Girls and the Full Monty.
Charlie Wilson's War...Mike Nichols, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts...that has to be good.

Since we rarely get out to the theater, we pick our movies carefully (we are faithful Rotten Tomato readers).

Seen anything really great?...or is there a movie you are really looking forward to? Let us know!

2 comments:

Melissa Niksic said...

We want to see most of these, too. I'm dragging John to see "Enchanted" tomorrow, and I also want to see "Atonement," which opens in December.

Anonymous said...

August Rush was a sweet movie!