Friday, March 07, 2008

Fitness Friday!

While watching TV, take the commercial breaks to burn some calories...
Either take the 2 mins to....
Do a toning exercise (push ups, crunches, planks, weight or resistence training)*
OR
Do a cardio interval (jog in place, jumping jacks, run up and down the stairs, skip around the house)

Do the activity for the ENTIRE break and do something EVERY break.

For a 30min show that's about 8mins of exercise or 20mins for 1hr program!


*See Sparks People for easy toning exercises.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea. We don't spend a lot of time watching TV, but since the husband takes classes at night I usually watch at least one or two hours of TV per night these days.

Here's a question for you. I stopped doing my pilates dvd because it says it's unsafe for pregnancy due to the ab tightening exercises. Does that apply to regular exercises like crunches and sit ups? I hate sit ups, but my daughter likes it when I put her on my legs and do crunches with her. Is that still safe? I'm in the first trimester.

Jenna said...

I'm not a dr or certified in pilates...you should always check with your dr or midwife to see what is best for you. In general, you can continue exercise programs that you had established before pregnancy (I have a woman who still does kickboxing at 7mons). Just watch your position (don't lay on your back too long) and heartrate (make sure to warm up 8-12min and recover slowly after a workout)...and lots more water. You can do crunches if you want to (if you did them before) but many think that you should not stress out that area (I did them until the belly got in the way).

Overall, do what feels good and right.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I'm really trying to stay active this pregnancy. With the Tree-Hugger I was working on my feet eight hours a day and just too tired and sore to do anything but put my feet up and rest. I really paid for that with back pain and weight gain. This time I am hoping to stay healthy.