Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Taste of Fall

I decided that it was Fall...I actually decided a few weeks ago. I pulled out the baby's Fall hand-me-downs, I bought a new pair of jeans (the new Old Navy styles, very nice), I stopped shaving my legs, I put extra blankets on everyones' beds, I started drinking hot coffee and tea. But then the temperature crept back up. And then yesterday, we pulled out the scarves and hats to go to the 9am soccer game. Crazy! But alas...the weather should warm up one more time this week. It isn't officially Fall until Sunday.

Anyways. Since my brain decided it was Fall, that means I can bake again. I do bake over the summer but not as much as I dread heating up the house with the oven. The rest of the year, I bake at least on a weekly basis. I also made soup...lovely, hot soup with warm, crusty bread!

This week, again Fall-themed, I made some pumpkin bread! And I made it as healthy as possible (dark chocolate is good for you...antioxidants and stuff).

Low-fat Pumpkin Bread (or bars, or muffins...)
4 cups flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tsp EACH of nutmeg, ground ginger, ground cloves, allspice
1 can of pumpkin puree or 2 cups fresh
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup egg substitute or egg whites (or 4 whole eggs)
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup veggie oil
2 cups oatmeal, optional
1 cup dried cranberries, optional
1 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

In large bowl, combine flour, soda, powder, and spices. Set aside. In another large bowl (or mixer bowl, if using), combine pumpkin, eggs, juice, sugar, and oil. Blend until sugar is well-combined. Slowly add dry ingredients. Fold in any 'optional' ingredients. Spread into 2 greased loaf pans or 1 greased jelly-roll pan (at least 9X13). Bake at 350F for 1 hour (loaf) or 25-30 min (bars).

This is great snack for the kiddies....I call it cake and they eat it up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I love pumpkin bread but I'm still trying to take off all that baby weight! I can't wait to try this.

Jenna said...

Just know that chocolate chips and nuts add fat...but good fats.