Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Squirrels!

I am a very forgiving animal lover...we have lots of animals that call our neighborhood home (although why the bunnies say despite the constant harassment from our 2yo, I don't know). This has ruined our dreams of a sunflower house in our backyard. I don't kill bugs in our house but prevent the annoying ones from calling our kitchen home.

But I have a problem with the squirrels who are now stealing my tomatoes off the plant and then perch on top of the swingset to show off their skills....laughing at us inside.

I really wanted tomato on my sandwich today.

2 comments:

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Dear Jenna,

Oh WOE! Yes, squirrels love tomatoes and everything loves sunflowers. I sprinkle baby powder on my tomatoes and young sunflowers and it helps. I've also used fermented salmon spray fertilizer on the tomatoes and they stink to high heavens and the squirrels shun them. You REALLY have to wash the tomatoes with warm, soapy water before eating them.

I am sorry about your sunflower house. Maybe next year???

Best wishes,

Your fan,

Sharon Lovejoy (I've lectured in Champaign at Herb Symposiums and I love it there)
author of Sunflower Houses and Roots Shoots Buckets & Boots

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

What I hate is when the squirrels pick the biggest, reddest, juiciest strawberry and take one bite and leave it there to taunt me. If you are going to take it, at least eat the entire thing!

They also like to take tomatoes and put them on my fence posts (uneaten of course).

If I had a BB gun, I would make an example of one of them :)

I would hate to put anything (such as baby powder as recommended above) on my fruits and veggies since we tend to pick them and pop them in our mouths. It's kind of the point of organic gardening.

I just try to peacefully co-exist. And try not to yell at the squirrels too much.

I could write a dissertation on my hatred of squirrels in my garden!