Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Toy Story 3

Toy Story 3, rated G, 1hr 45min

I have a very special spot in my heart for Woody and Buzz, not to mention Jesse and Potato Head. I have absolutely loved the first two installments of this trilogy. We are on our second set of DVD's. We have much loved Woody and Buzz dolls (several Buzz's) as well as most of the other characters, a memory game, and a worn-down Buzz costume. This connection to these characters made this last movie very special.

I took all three kids to see it in 2D. The animation is still amazing and beautiful. The usual suspects are all present with the exception of Little Bo Peep. The story takes place as Andy is packing for college and must decide what items to bring to college, store in the attic, donate, or throw away. After some confusion, the group of toys ends up at a local daycare that happens to be ruled by a cute and cuddly yet commanding teddy bear, Lotso. Similar to Stinky Pete, he has been loved and forgotten and misunderstands his original owner's intentions and this leads to a bitter life. Of course, Andy's toys need to find away to escape the daycare and find their rightful place.

My favorite new character is, of course, Ken. Brilliant is all I have to say. And Potato Head delivers with some hilarious dialogue and action. I also liked seeing more of Andy in this film.

My 4yo really loved Buzz's new skills and the 6yo loved the spy aspect of the plot.

This movie is tremendously touching. Because we have invested 15years into these characters, we care so much for them and really feel the joy, pain, and fear with them. I cried, and cried, and cried the last 30mins. The last scene of the film is so perfect. Pixar hasn't gone wrong yet on bringing stories we can all relate to at any age and making us reflect on our own lives. You can believe some toys got some special love when we got home.

I recommend everyone who has owned a toy should see this movie. We didn't pay the extra cash for 3D and didn't feel like I missed anything. I loved it on the big screen but I plan to purchase the DVD as soon as it is available as well. I can't wait to see it again.

No comments: