Sunday, July 18, 2010

Inception

I attempted to get some time outside the house without kids...and I did it!

Inception (rated PG-13, 2hr 28min)
First of all, this is a long movie and there really isn't a break in story or action to go to the bathroom, so avoid the extra large tub of beverage. Secondly, make sure to get there on time, you need to see the first second to the last second of this film.

Honestly, I don't even know how to explain this film. Many critics have described it as a heist film (a genre I love) but it is really a lot more. It gets very psychological and philosophical. Leo DiCaprio leads a team including the adorable Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Juno's Ellen Page to, not really steal anything, but plant something in order to satisfy their employer played by Ken Watanbe. However, unlike any other story like it, the action has to take place in people's dreams.

The audience is given a crash course in extraction (stealing one's secrets by going to the source, their brain) and dreams. This is conveniently done through the new recruit, Page. We also slowly learn about DiCaprio's past. It is very complex but I think I stayed with most of the details and layers. Christopher Nolan (who writes, directs, and produces this film as well as Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, and the newest Batman series) really worked hard on this. Although way out of the box for most of us, he makes it understandable and intriguing.

The acting is on point (including some of Nolan's favorites, Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy). The special effects are really fantastic. They aren't super crazy but fun to watch. I loved the play with gravity.

I don't want to say much more. But I will say that this is a fantastic departure from the usual family/kid films I watch. It is also a film that I want to watch again, and read about, and learn about. I want to figure it out. Christopher Nolan is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers/directors.

I would definitely check out (big screen and/or little).

No comments: