Sunday, February 01, 2009

Oscar Update

First of all I would like to thank all the people who have supported my through this challenging time...my 12yo for babysitting, my hub who sees movies alone, and all those students and family members that have given me movie gift cards. My friends, co-workers, and family guiding me to making wise movie choices. I couldn't have done it without you.

Here is a quick overview of what I've seen so far.

Best Picture
Slumdog Millionaire
Go see this movie on the big screen! I don't even want to talk about it too much since the best part for me about this movie was that I knew absolutely nothing about it. Its a love, rags to riches, brotherly relationship, cultural awareness drama wrapped in a fabulous score and soundtrack.

Milk
I really didn't know anything about this one either, except the basic premise that Harvey Milk is the first openly gay person elected to public office in the 70's. Sean Penn is amazing in this film...amazing...his acting combined with a simply fascinating character...is fabulous. The story itself is interesting and brings up a lot of issues that clearly still exist today. James Franco deserved a nomination, and this supporting ensemble is a great group of young (and older) actors. (combined with my recent viewing of The Cockettes, I feel educated in the SF gay movement)

Benjamin Button
Although I knew the basic premise of this film as well, I didn't know how it would end and that was half of the movie for me....what is going to happen. The make-up and special effects are breath-taking...really. And they have cast the most beautiful people. The story is sweet, the scenery is wonderful. Its just a great story that I am glad was told.

Best Animated Film
Bolt
We saw this in 3D on Christmas Day (two things I will never do again). My kids loved this one...the boys in their superhero phase and my 12yo obsessed with Miley Cyrus. What I liked about this film were the action sequences...just like a Will Smith movie but animated. Bolt ends up being a really good hero and makes some good friends. The ending duet between Cyrus and John Travolta is really nice.

Kung Fu Panda
We finally snagged this from the library, despite being 100th on the waiting list. Great animation and voice characterization. The major theme is a timeless one for kids (you are the secret ingredient, make things what you want). I don't really feel like this film brought anything particularly new or interesting to the world of cinema.

Wall-E (see review here)
This should and probably will win this category.

No comments: