Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Oscar Nominations!

So they came out awhile ago but I am working hard to see as many films nominated for Academy Awards (aka the Oscars) as possible. Unfortunately, many of the films are in viewing-limbo somewhere between theaters and dvd.

I was fortunate enough to see ALL the nominated short films both live and animated this past weekend at the Art Theater in Champaign* (Thank you again Sanford for bringing them to us!). If you look hard enough, you can find many online but it was a treat to see these amazing films before the awards and on the big screen. I really enjoyed Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty (animated) and The New Tenants (live).

I have also caught up on some documentaries including Food Inc. and The Cove. Both greatly insightful films that can change your life. I encourage everyone to see them.

As for the other films, I still haven't seen Avatar (I just don't have 3+ hrs to devote) or Up in the Air but I did see Up (of course), Inglorious Basterds, and The Hurt Locker thus far. Up is, by far, my favorite film in the Best Film category but I am a girl and the top films are very masculine this year, despite the 10 nominations.

There are films and performances that got overlooked such as Woody Harrelson in Zombieland and the girl in the The Orphan, The Hangover, Harry Potter 6, and Monsters vs. Aliens.

Two more weeks to see as much as possible!

*If you live in CU, please check out the Art Theater, under new management. They really do have the best concessions in town including baked goods from local bakeries, coffee/tea, and stuffed pretzels. They also have a film discussion on Tuesdays and great late-night shows on the weekends. The new owner/manager is a great man with an open-mind and heart to film and the community.

No comments: