Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Summer Changes

This summer has been a challenge as a parent. Overall, I am exhausted but I have to find the energy and strength to continue on from day to day. What has changed the past six weeks?

Well, not much overall. But, school is out. My nine-year-old is home...all day...every day. I never realized how much she was gone at school and her other activities. Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter and overall she is a delightful person. But, I realized that having her home all the time changes the vibe and routine in the house. My usual quiet time while the boys are napping is gone. I have to divide my attention throughout the day in thirds. And the girl has got to eat! This has been a very unexpected change--not that she eats, I knew that, but the amount of food and expense was a surprise. During the school year, my daughter eats two of her three daily meals at school. And we only pay 70 cents a day for her to do so. Can you believe that?! I have tried to figure out how to do that at home, and it is impossible...so thank you school district for finding a way to nutritionally and economically feed our children. So our grocery bill has gone up a bit and I find myself having to go to the grocery store weekly (I used to make a 'big' trip every other week, and a produce and milk run once a week).

Speaking of eating...the baby is eating more food now too. Don't worry...he still nurses ten times a day (that is not hyperbole). Having all three kids home and eating has been good for our schedule. It makes us all eat, together, three times a day. This has been especially good for our picky, snacky two-year-old. He sees his sibs eating and thinks maybe its a good idea.

Speaking of the two-year-old...this summer has been the summer of transition for him. Potty training, pacifier weaning, juice reduction. And he decided to cash in on his last few months of being two...temper tantrums! Lots of them!

And the baby is crawling and learning to walk....

My husband is trying to find a new job....

And I am trying to keep us all under control.

No comments: