Monday, October 05, 2009

Zombieland!

Little known fact about me...I love horror movies. But not the good ones...bad, horrible horror movies...nothing that could really happen or anything. Shaun of the Dead is one of my favorite movies of all time so Zombieland was just calling to me.

Zombieland (rated R) is a hilarious comedy with some considerable gore. The story, not unlike any other zombie movie, is based on the idea that the world has been infected with a virus that has turned almost everyone into the undead. Fortunately for us, we follow 4 survivors, Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin, each named after the town they are from. Along the way, we are educated about the rules of survival (not only is Eisenberg's verbal delivery of these rules hilarious, we are constantly given written reminders) and reminded what is important to live life.

All the performances are fantastic. Harrelson is particularly amazing (I highly recommend an Oscar nom, no kidding). The zombies are perfectly gross, hungry, and stupid (and I assume performed by the filmmakers friends...hey guys, come down and be a zombie with me!). There is also a cameo that, for me, was so unexpected and so super funny. The writing is good and the design is fun with some realism.

I will warn some of you that the zombies and their resulting deaths are gross and somewhat violent.

Overall, highly entertaining and a perfect 2hrs of escapism. It is also great on the big screen but I will definitely check out the DVD.

No comments: