Thursday, August 24, 2006

Sick again

Well, we went through it this week. My daughter came home after visiting her various grandparents sick. Not just tired and crabby from too much fun and spoiling from the grandparents...but throwing up sick. We figured she was exhausted, motion sickness or maybe even food poisining. She was fine the next day and even the next. But that night, it started again and it wasn't pretty. After about 4 hours of vomitting and other things (not all making it to the bathroom), it was over. She was better the next day--tired, dehydrated, and afraid to eat in case she had to get sick again...but better. Great, that was over.

Then I got it. Thankfully, I got the younger two to bed easily and finished my PTA stuff for the coming first day of school before it hit. My husband was out at fire fighting training, out of reach so if the boys woke up, I don't know what I would have done. For over 6 hours I was in the bathroom. I slept on the couch, sitting up...close to the bathroom and far away from anyone else. My husband brought the baby down a couple times to nurse. But I figured that our daughter was sick for 4 hours so I should be done soon, right? And I did feel a bit better the next day--exhausted but better. But my husband came down at 6am that morning to take his turn. Now I had only not thrown up for 3 hours and a terrible sense of anxiousness came over me.

If my husband and I were both sick...I mean really sick like this, who was going to take care of the children? Crap!! What were we going to do? Most of our friends were out of town or working and we didn't want to send our possibly infected children to anyone else's house with little ones. Should we call in the reinforcements (e.g. the parents)? Unfortunately, my mom who had been babysitting the kids while we were out of town had caught the same bug and was sick, sick, sick too. There is a crisis nursery in town that we could have used if necessary. But I was feeling better, enough to take care of the kids. And then my husband felt better (only 3 hours of real sickness for him). So we took turns napping and taking care of the kids.

Then all was well. Well, the dishes and garbage piled up (a lot) and we watched a lot more TV than usual. We fed the kids whatever they wanted (out of the meager supply we had). My husband felt better fast and was running errands (e.g. more saltines or powerade, anyone?), he threw in some laundry and a load in the dishwasher. I made up a batch of cherry jello and another of vanilla pudding. And we were all set...then I started getting sick again. Of course Mom gets the sickiest--probably because I had the least amount of time to really devote to getting better (I still had to nurse and take care of people, my husband can nap anywhere anytime).

It feels like it will never end---my kids will never eat a real meal again (I couldn't even watch Food Network, I was so nauseous), the sink will never be empty, I will spend the rest of my life in the bathroom--our one, tiny bathroom.

But alas, it did end (at least I hope so, the little ones haven't gotten it). I finally woke up this morning and felt completely different, anew. I could eat. I could play with the kids. We had an actual meal together tonight. It was only a few days but having three of us sick in the house (including the two adults) was a big blow. I feel like we should set up some kind of plan in case, god forbid, it should ever happen again. At least a sickie food stash and unwatched dvd's.

I hope none of you get sick like us--at least not at the same time.

No comments: