Friday, May 05, 2006

Books are Back

Yes, I am still here. Sorry. We have been so busy this month...including a great vacation to Colorado. Travelling with the kids is so exhausting but the kids and even I had a great time visiting family, friends, and nature. Then we just have all these things on our calendar. Crazy! So is the life of a family. I can only imagine what it will be like when the kids are in jr. high and high school!!!

Anyways. I wanted to at the very least recommend some more reading--I know we all have tons of extra time to sit down and read, right?! Actually, I read at least 15 mins or one chapter before I go to bed each night unless its super late or I am super exhausted. I just finished R is for Ricochet by Sue Grafton and have Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code on my shelf.

The Tao of Poop by Vivian Elizabeth Glyck
This is a funny and interesting book for new and vetern moms alike. Read the whole first chapter before making a judgement. Besides including her personal experience as well as other parents, each chapter includes 'sanity savers' and 'thought exercises'. These give you some things to help out and think about your life.

Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy
This book is the first in a now series of books by the comedienne. It is a funny reflection of her own pregnancy including all the things that other books don't really mention including the unpleasantness of pregnancy and weight gain and loss. Its a fun read for vetern moms and a reality check for new ones.

The Breastfeeding Cafe: Mothers Share the Joys, Challenges, and Secrets of Nursing by Barbara Berhmann
This is a fabulous collection of stories from breastfeeding parents all over the nation. You'll laugh, you'll cry...what could be better?! A great book for all nursing moms.

The Complete Book of Breastfeeding by Marvin Eiger andSally Wendkos Olds
This is the breastfeeding reference book I own. (Yes, I do occasionally purchase a book). Besides all the usual info, there is a drug list for nursing moms and a great reference section.

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
No, this is not a parenting book but its a great book to read with your child--age 9-15 years. I love Hiaasen's books and he has two young readers' books. This is a great book. My daughter and I really liked it. There is a movie that was recently released based on the book--although I have yet to see it.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Ok, I haven't read it yet but...this is our first summer read-together book with my daughter. There is also a fabulous movie based on this one. I'll let you know how it is.

What my 2-year-old is reading right now...Sesame Street Magazines, Maisy's Train, Arthur's Valentine Countdown

What my 9-month-old is reading right now...The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Good Night Moon, Barnyard Dance

No comments: