Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Traveling

This past weekend, we packed up the kids and went to visit the family for a wedding. It was a delightful weekend full of family and friends. It was great to see almost all of my mother's family (and that's a lot--almost 60). It was especially amazing and a bit strange to see our younger-baby cousins (we officially have to stop calling Jim who is graduating from college Baby Jimmy!) all grown up and enjoying the wedding. It is great to celebrate with four generations together. I will gladly pack up the family and drive a couple hours to see them!

As usual, it was a lot of work just getting out of the house. The preparations begin a week in advance. Besides, planning our week's meals with the existing food in our house--so we use all the parishable foods before we are gone, I shop for anything we might need for the trip (e.g. medications, birthday cards, snacks). Then I try to keep the kids on their schedules until we leave--meaning sleep and eating. I plan to do laundry a day or two early and start pulling things out to pack the night before. We go out of town often enough that it is pretty easy to pack up but it always takes us what seems like forever to leave. We always leave at least one hour later than what I had planned. Then we get in the car and my husband inevitably says he needs to run some kind of errand before we leave town. Our family has learned to expect us at least two hours after we say we will arrive.

Once we are finally there, the adventure begins. I used to get extremely stressed out when we travelled, especially up to Chicagoland to see family. I would always be sick by the time we got home. So over the years I have changed my perspective and tried some strategies to reduce the stress.
*Pack lightly.
If we are staying with people (instead of hotel), I only pack half of what need and do laundry. When travelling with five people, there are a lot of clothes. Plus kids get dirty--you want to wash those right away. I almost always do laundry when visiting my mom's before we come home--that way you come home with mostly clean clothes and you don't have to worry about doing it when you get home. Also, we often stay with my parents so I stock her house with a lot of items (e.g. shampoo, soap, toothpaste, lotion, baby cereal, sippy cups, toothbrushes). We also keep a pack-n-play there. She also has a stroller.

*Take care of yourself and your kids
Do not overschedule yourselves. Of course your mother-in-law would like to see you as does your grandmother, and aunt, and brother, and best friend. But you can't see everyone at every visit and you can't see them all in one day. I try to plan only one major event/visit each day. Plan to stay an extra day if possible. Try not to feel obligated to see everyone. Remember people can come visit your home as well.
SLEEP!!! If possible I try to plan things around the kids usual sleeping times and meals. Try not to skip a nap more than one day. Sleep yourself. I love talking with my siblings but I really shouldn't stay up past midnight to do so--especially when I will see them in the morning. Also, get back on schedule as soon as you get home.
EAT!!! We have found that people without kids do not eat like people with kids--most commonly, they eat dinner when your kids are usually asleep and sleep when your kids want to eat breakfast. Try to keep your kids and your own bloodsugar under control. Pack good snacks (e.g. cereal bars, bags of cereal, dried fruit, applesauce, juice boxes, pretzles). Kids will most likely not eat at big family meals like Christmas dinner--besides the fact that the food may not be familiar, they will be overstimulated with presents and new people and places. Feed them before you leave. I also feel like as long as they eat something, we're doing good. For example, our son didn't really eat dinner one night because he didn't like any of the food offered (he's a picky eater to begin with). So, I let him eat a piece of cheesecake and some jello anyways. At least he got some calories in him, right?

*Meltdowns
Someone in your family will have a meltdown while travelling--whether its you or your kids. Its ok. People won't think you're a terrible mother if you kids throws himself on the floor because he's exhausted and doesn't want to share his toys. This past weekend, our kids were so tired. We were having dinner with my grandmother and two out of three of the kids left the table in tears. I just let them happen. Both kids took a couple minutes to cry and pout and then returned to the table and ate and the rest of the visit was pleasant. If you protect your sleeping and eating you can try to avoid meltdowns but...

*Diaper Bags
Although I try to be minimalistic with my kids and travel....I do pack a good diaper bag. Besides the obvious diapers and wipes, I pack an extra set of clothing for all the kids in diapers and an extra set for me (since we are still nursing--FYI my kids are notorious for getting off their nursing schedules while travelling). I also have toys, books, snacks, extra pacificers, and diaper cream. Since most homes without kids won't have toys for the kids to play with, the kids pack a bag of things to do including books and favorite toys (they also use them in the car). Warning!!! Don't pack your kid's favorite favorite toy unless you will be very good about remembering to bring it home. My son loves his Thomas the train but I bring other trains in his bag--besides the fact he would be really upset if we lost it, he will not share it with other kids.


Travelling with Your Toddler
http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/btravel/0,,423r,00.html

Have a Good Trip
http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/btravel/0,,423r,00.html

No comments: